This website is intended to be a portfolio for some of my work. I will also be writing a bit on some of the experiments, projects and research I have been busy with.
I feel reluctant to write about myself. But since you are on this page expecting to read something about me, I will try to write a little.
I am 35 years old. In 2007 I graduated with a Master of Arts in Media Design from the Piet Zwart Institue for postgraduate studies and research, WDKA, HRO, NL.
After three years of undergraduate studies at the School of Architecture and Allied Arts, UO, OR, USA, I came back to my home town Male’, Maldives in 1999. Since then I have been working on developing and implementing projects for clients ranging from some of the largest companies to some of the smallest grass-root level organizations. I have tested different methods to provoke thought in closed societies, including low cost high impact methods such as spreading memes and counter memes, often utilizing a combination of media ranging from photocopying to social software on the internet.
Though we are exposed to an influx of information accessible and available as never before, we are crippled more than ever to gauge its value and/or usefulness; information that is designed to seamlessly penetrate us without our knowledge. My research includes studying relationships formed by aesthetic, social, political and economic systems and how media systems influence their dynamics.
My recent projects involve generating algorithmic art using non-repetitive patterns, and intelligent data mining and analysis for visual representation. My work is usually the result of a combination of visual design, photography, film making, architectural design, products / furniture design, writing and computer programming. I also very much enjoy working on projects with people from a variety of other disciplines since a diversity of ideas during the creative process is essential for any project before execution.
I believe in love, functionalism and minimalism in my life and in what I do.
A selection of Exhibitions & Publications that feature some of my work.
- Data Flow (2008 Die-Gestalten, Germany) Visualising Information in Graphic Design.
- IDPURE (NÂ°13, 2007) The Swiss magazine of graphic design and visual creation.
- IEEE Visualization 2007 Conference in Sacramento, California. USA, forum for data and information visualization advances for academia, government, and industry.
- Kelvin – Colour Today (2007 Die-Gestalten, Germany) investigating todayâ€™s evolving perception and application of colour.
- Fragile Earth (2006 Harper Collins UK) showing the extraordinary effects of man and nature providing insights into our possible future world.
- Gentlemen’s Quarterly – GQ Magazine (May 2008 Italy) on Style | Design section.
- Filmbase, Dublin, Ireland (2008) as part of “Synth Eastwood Show 5 Flags & Anthems”
- Gallery BLAAK10, Rotterdam, NL (2008) as part of “global / positions / systems”
- WORM, Rotterdam, NL (2007) as part of “PZI Media Design Invades WORM”.
- PZI Overblaak 85, Rotterdam, NL (2006). As part of “PZI Show”
- Information Aesthetics – Data visualization & visual design
- ColourLovers – Colour & design for creative inspiration
- Visual Complexity – Exploration on mapping complex networks